richard parrish | PATTERNS

Richard Parrish
"Patterns"
October 1st - November 5th 2009
Opening Thursday October 1st at 6p
(meet the artist)


Richard Parrish
"Patterns"

Artist’s Statement

As an artist & an architect, I find inspiration in both the human-made environment & in the vast landscape of the American west where I grew up. I am fascinated by the juxtaposition of the constructed & the natural, which I often express in my work. I find that it is critical to my existence to make things with my hands, using real materials. I focus on the integration of meaning, design and technique in my glasswork and in the classes that I teach. I am particularly interested in the interaction of light and color in the environment and in my own work.

Biography

Richard Parrish maintains a studio for kiln formed glass and architecture in Bozeman, Montana. He holds a Master of Architecture degree from the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho. He was awarded best artist in his category at the Western Design Conference Exhibition in 2008. His work was selected for the Corning Museum of Glass’s New Glass Review 27, and he was awarded the American Craft Council Award of Achievement in 2003. His artwork is in numerous public and private collections in the United States and Europe.

Richard has taught architecture and design at The University of Michigan and Montana State University. He teaches classes in kilnformed glass in his studio and throughout the United States, focusing on the visual elements of design; color theory; and inspiration, meaning and intent.

Richard’s glasswork includes speculative work; functional objects; and architectural installations and design elements. Current commissions include a memorial at St. John’s Mercy Hospital in St. Louis and nineteen glass pieces for the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort.